Online, one of the most significant keys to success is getting website traffic. The more visitors you have, the better your sales and profits. Presumably, you have a niche and know your keywords. You should also do keyword research regularly to stay on top of what’s popular. Based on these assumptions…here are five tips to get website traffic.
Tip #1 Make sure you are actually tagging your keywords.
Do you spend a lot of time optimizing your content and then neglect to tag them on your webpage? Tags are where search engines look and if there are no tages they will pass right by your web pages. Here’s a quick brief on tags:
- Title tags. Title tags are quite possibly the most important place to situate your keywords. Here is what they look like: <title>primary keyword phrase</title> Your title tag is where you place your primary keyword or keyword phrase. The sentence will describe your business in less than 90 characters.
- Header tags. Header tags are next in order of importance to search engines. They are ranked in order of importance and look like this: <h1>primary and/or secondary keywords</h1> The ‘1’ means it is the most important header on the page.
- Meta tags. Meta tags provide the small descriptive text found underneath the title tag on the search engine results page. Meta tags, like title tags, should be kept brief, be informative, and be kept up to date.
- Alt tags. Alt tags are used to provide a text description of a graphic. Each graphic on your site should have a description and an alt tag.
Tip #2 Add content to your site daily.
Content is essential for traffic and a top search engine ranking. Content is what search engine spiders and look for and index…without it there is nothing to rank or index. You need to give visitors and search engines a reason to visit and index your site. Make a commitment to provide daily content that is optimized and you will see your traffic increase.
Tip #3 Get valuable and incoming links.
The more websites that link to your web pages the more valuable search engines think your website is…although not all links are created equal. Search engines give more value to links from sites that are popular and credible and from sites that are relevant to your website topic.
Here are some different kinds of links:
- Direct link. This looks like a basic website address. For example www.buybymom.com.
- Text link. A text link is when the webpage is embedded in the text. Readers simply click on the link and they are directed to a different webiste. For example: Buy By Mom.
- Deep link. This is a link that is to an internal webpage instead of the home page of a website. For example: Buy By Mom rates.
You can encourage others to link to your website by:
- Adding content to your site
- Submitting articles to directories
- Publishing press releases
- Blogging and participating in social networking forums and social networking sites
Tip #4 Be social.
Now more than ever before, internet marketing is about building a community. Whether you offer a forum on your website or you participate in social networking sites, social networking is a valuable traffic generating tactic. Sites like Facebook and Twitter can be powerful tools for generating links and traffic to your site. Create a profile, post comments and links to your site that will generate conversation.
Get involved. Many forums are industry specific. You should find those that fit your industry and begin participating. You can connect with a highly targeted audience.
Advertising should be approached strategically. When it is, it can be used to promote your content and products or services. Pay per click (PPC) advertising is a highly used option because you can control the advertising budget on a daily basis. You will also have the tools to test and track your advertising efforts. Once you have honed your PPC advertising skills, the return on investment can be very good in terms of traffic and business.
For the best results, you should create an advertising and SEO strategy. Outline your plan and goals and then take action and follow through. Take advantage of these five tips to help boost your business.
Julianne Alvarez-Wish is a military wife, mother, business owner, professional writer, blogger and legislative advocate. She is the Director of Communications for Our Milk Money, the Colorado State Leader for the National Association for Moms in Business and the owner of Buy By Mom and Buy By Mom Blog. She is the Colorado Springs Stay-at-Home Mom Examiner for Examiner.com. She also blogs at A Wishful Thought. Her passion, purpose and goal is to help parents work from home so they can be home with their children.